Without water, life could not exist.
Every living being on this planet, whether plant or animal requires water in order to stay alive.
The daily cycle of water, where it is evaporated from the oceans, brought over the land, precipitated as rain or snow and then enters the rivers is well known.
The most common area where water is precipitated, is over mountains. The air here is colder and water vapour requires cold air in order to precipitate.
After the water falls to the ground on the high mountains, it generally freezes and forms glaciers filled with ice. As the seasons change, the glaciers melt and the run-off of water feeds plant and animal life.
This run-off is the primary source of water for all life on the planet.
If we look at the entire planet, we see water, water everywhere, but very little for plant or animal use.
Here is an excerpt from the www.waterindustry.org which has compiled data on total water supplies:
“The problem is that 96%, or 317 million cubic miles, is found in the oceans and is saline (35,000 ppm of dissolved salts). Another 7 million cubic miles is tied up in icecaps and glaciers, and 3.1 million in the earth’s atmosphere. Ground water, fresh water lakes, and rivers account for just over 2 million cubic miles of fresh water. The net result is that 99.7% of all the water on earth is not available for human and animal consumption. Of the remaining 0.3%, much is inaccessible due to unreachable locations and depths, and the vast majority of water for human and animal consumption, much less than 1% of the total supply, is stored in ground water.”
We can easily see that the availability of water for human consumption, and just as importantly, for plant and animal life is a minute fraction of the total.
When we have severe droughts, not only do humans die, but also their agricultural plants and their live stock die.
Today, across the world, millions of people are struggling to obtain water for themselves and their animals. Their crops are withering on the barren soil.
Today, there are many skeptics expressing their doubts about Global Warming.
The skeptics point to cold temperatures around the globe and make sarcastic remarks concerning the reality of Global Warming.
But, it is not the temperature that is crucial, it is the water supply!
The universe functions in waves. Temperatures go up and down like prices in the stock markets. The trend underlying their highs and lows is indiscernible. The “trend” is also a wave. The trend of the global temperature is inexorably rising.
The proof of a rising global temperature is the melting of ice on the surface of the earth.
As the atmospheric temperature rises, the ice melts, but, even worse, there is less precipitation of water.
As reported in Science Daily, the ice in glaciers is disappearing rapidly:
ScienceDaily (Feb. 4, 2009) – Glaciers around the globe continue to melt at high rates. Tentative figures for the year 2007, of the World Glacier Monitoring Service at the University of Zurich, Switzerland, indicate a further loss of average ice thickness of roughly 0.67 meter water equivalent (m w.e.).
The melting glaciers remove large quantities of water through flooding and eventual evaporation.
The melting glaciers will, eventually, cause sea levels to rise and flood coastal areas, but at this very moment, they are changing the pattern of rainfall.
Floods are followed by droughts. This pattern destroys water availability for human use, and, even worse, destroys plant life, upon which the climate and animal life depend.
Trees are the fundamental source for the absorption of CO2.
When CO2 levels fall, the planet cools. During the Ice Ages, the planet was totally covered with trees, and the reduction of CO2 by the trees, contributed to the lowering of temperatures.
Today, humans are destroying trees everywhere on the planet. In addition, they are covering the ground with concrete and housing. The concrete and housing absorbs and retains heat and increases the global temperature.
This has the opposite effect of a forest.
The obvious and most simple solution to Global Warming is to reduce the world’s human population.
This may occur, inadvertently, through nuclear warfare. It may also occur through a viral pandemic, such as the H1N1 flu pandemic, that we are presently experiencing.
Beyond such calamities, the human population may be reduced through education. Wherever we find a population that is educated, we invariably find a low birth rate.
If mankind can accelerate and improve education, he may ward off the water famine that is already here.